Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Things not to say/do when someone is grieving

Here are some of the silly things people say and do when confronted with death.

My advice is when someone close to your friend or relative dies, do not:


  • Say "feel better" at the end of a text, as though the person grieving is getting over a summer cold.
  • Pretend not hear them when they tell you that someone close to them has died, even if you don't know the person speaking to you very well.
  • Say "of course I'm always here for you, because you've done so much for me" and not call, write or contact your friend in any way after the death.
  • Tell them to "be strong."
  • Say "I'm sorry, I know it hurts, but she lived a long life."
  • Say in the case of a person dying of dementia, "So did she starve to death?"
  • Avoid the grieving person even when you see them walking nearby.
  • Text this message: "Know ur busy 2day. I will keep you in my prayers." For what? Are you sorry? Is this a condolence? Are you praying for me because I'm busy? Regarding the memorial service: "I will try 2come if I can get a sitter." I don't know, did you have to add the last part? And why did you not call or write or say anything else besides this text?
  • Ask: "Is anyone bringing you meals?" then never follow through on your promise to take care of said meals.
  • Stop checking in, or simply, never even bother to try because you feel someone else is taking care of it.
I'm sure many more exciting things are to come, so I'll be keeping track, just because I find it weirdly fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment